HOME HAIR CARE TIPS
Keeping your hair healthy and beautiful does not have to cost a fortune.
In fact, with just a few common household ingredients, you can give your hair a deep moisturising treatment, give yourself subtle highlights or prevent dandruff. Here is a list of homemade hair treatments and hair care products.
HOME-MADE HAIR RINSES
Protect your hair with a hair rinse. These hair rinses correct the hair’s pH and remove residue from shampoo and other hair products, leaving the hair healthy and shiny.
Why Vinegar? Vinegar removes build-up and residue from the hair shaft and closes the cuticles. Vinegar restore natural pH and prevents an itchy scalp. Although plain white vinegar works fine, apple cider vinegar seems to be the preferred vinegar. As your hair is drying you will smell vinegar but once your hair dries there will be no smell.
Apple Cider Softening Hair Rinse
Mix 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with 3 cups distilled water.
Directions: Pour over your hair as the final rinse. It will leave your hair feeling soft. Good for all hair types.
Shiny Hair Rinse
Mix the juice from 1/2 lemon, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water.
Directions: Shampoo and rinse hair as usual, then pour the mixture on your hair and massage into the scalp. Rinse with cool water.
GENERAL HAIR CARE TIPS
Proper hair care can give you fabulous, shining, thick, beautiful, gorgeous, and dandruff free hair.
- Oiling hair regularly will prevent various hair problems.
- Trim the split-ends of the hair regularly.
- Do not over brush your hair.
- Brush your hair regularly with a good quality hairbrush/comb. Use a broad toothed comb brush on wet hair. Wash your brush or comb regualrly with soap or shampoo.
- Avoid the use of other’s comb. Always clean your comb.
- Do not use very hot air for drying wet hair. Avoid over-exposure to the sun.
- f you color your hair, try to organic dyes such as henna(mehndi)or coffee and avoid non-organic dyes like peroxides.
- Vitamins for healthy hairYou can try some specific vitamins to keep your hair healthy as given below.
1.The B-Complex vitamins and Antioxidants for healthy hair. A deficiency in vitamins B2, B6 or biotin may cause hair loss. Inositol helps hair growth.
2. Vitamin C and E help circulation in scalp.
3. Sulfur is good for hair growth.
4. Beta Carotene for shining hair.
Hair Care MythsThere are many advises about hair care that appear to be sound and worth to try, but actually they are nothing but myths. Following are some hair care tips taht are supposed to be true but are only myths.
1. Myth: Trim your hair to frequently to grow them faster and denser. Whether you trim your hair or not, they grow half an inch every 4 weeks. Trimming split hair ends improves the look of your hair.
2. Myth: Stress is the main cause of hair loss
We daily lose about 100 hairs daily even in the absense of stress. However, you may lose more than this, if you are very stressed.
3. Myth: Plucking out grey hair will grow more grey haid
Plucking grey hair may damage hair follicles and lead to infection on the scalp. But there is no connection between plucking and greying hai
Hair Care Recipes
1. Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mix 5 tablespoon of olive oil with 2 eggs. Apply throughly to hair. Wrap head with plastic wrap or a shower cap. After 15 minutes rinse well.
2. Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask -1
Mix 2 tablespoon honey with 3 tablespoon olive oil. Apply throughly to hair. Cover hair with plastic wrap or a shower cap. After 15 minutes shampoo and rinse well.
3. Beautiful Gorgeous Hair Mask -2
After you shampoo your hair, pour 1 cup fresh lemon juice or vinegar through hair and massage and rinse with water. Apply your usual conditioner and wash with water. It will remove all the dirt and your hair will be shine sparkling. Do not repeat this method before 2 weeks.
4. Beautiful Gorgeous Hair Mask
Grind fenugreek (methi) seeds soaked in water overnight. Massage this paste on scalp and hair and leave it for15-20 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo. This paste is good for all types of hair problems, viz. dandruffs, falling hair, thinning of hair, baldness, split hair, etc.
5. Hair Rinse for soft and shiny hair
Mix 1 Tbsp of following herbs with enough boiling water and let it stand for 1/2 an hour. Add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and mix well. Shampoo your hair. Pour mixture over hair repeatedly. Vinegar will seal the hair cuticle.
Use the herbs as following:
For hair general care: rosemary leaves, nettle, burdock root, elder flowers
For dry hair: chamomile flowers, comfrey root, nettle, elder flowers
For oily hair: lemon peel, , peppermint, lemongrass
6. Shining Hair
Mix juice of one fresh orange, water, 1 tablespoon Honey and a few drops (5-7) of sandalwood oil. Use as an after-shampoo rinse.
Beat two eggs in a tablespoon of milk and apply on your hair. Rinse your hair after 5-7 minutes to get an instant shining.
Add a 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in water and rinse your hair.
7. For Damaged Hair
Mash a ripe banana with a few drops of almond oil and massage into hair. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Rinse with soda water and then shampoo and condition.
8. Falling Hair, Hair Loss
Rub Indian gooseberry (Amla) into the scalp regularly. It can show wonderful results, it will stop hair falling.
Eat a protein rich diet inluding green leafy vegetables, carrots, mango, dried apricots, whole grain cereals, sprouts, lentils in the daily diet for the hair loss and falling hair.
9. Split End Hair
Split ends in hair are caused when they are damaged by strong shampoo or heat from hair dryer. Following are some cures for spit hair.
- Make a pack by beating 1 egg yolk in a mixture of 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey. Massage on hair in thoroughly and then wrap head with shower cap for half an hour. Wash.
- Massage hair and scalp with warm olive oil and wrap head with shower cap and leave for overnight or for 8-10 hours. Wash.
You can alternately do the following:
Take 1/2 cup olive oil in 1/2 cup boiling water in a bottle and put its cap. Shake teh bottle vigorsly. Massage thoroughly in hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave for 1/2 hour, then wash. Take care of your hands and head because the water is hot.
- Oil your hair twice a week with coconut oil mixed with fresh lime juice.
- It is always better to keep the split end trimmed, otherwise, they may split further up the hair.
10. Frizzy Hair
Make an after-shampoo rinse by mixing one tablepsoon of honey to a liter of water. Use it after every hair wash with your usual shampoo.
11. Greasy Hair
Greasy hair are mainly due to becoming sebaceous glands overactive. You should avoid too much brushing of hair. Wash your hair frequently with a nourishing shampoo